team toyo: Racing
The philosophy behind Toyo Tires' involvement in motorsports is simple and direct; whether on the track or off the road, we race to win. Through this pursuit of perfection, Toyo Tires has forged a reputation for winning, performance and consistency.
We began competing on U.S. soil in the 1980's and by 1989, we had posted three consecutive drive and manufacturer's titles in the IMSA GTU class of road racing. Toyo Tires soon became a household name amongst both amateur and professional drivers...winning tends to have that effect. We have been the Official Tire of SCCA World Challenge® since 2001, the Toyo Proxes R888 currently holding this prestigious title. It is our flagship competition tire and it delivers race-winning performance to drivers across racing.
Over the years, Toyo Tires has experienced success in motorsports around the world. The racing milestones we share on this site are just a small glimpse into our legacy of winning on the track and off the road. They represent many firsts for Toyo Tires in the United States.
- 1989 – 1993: Both sponsored and supplied racing slicks to the Nissan 240SX factory team of Leitzinger Racing in the IMSA GTU class. During that period, the team won three driver and three manufacturer championships.
- 1991: R-compound, street legal Proxes RA1 introduced. It is a competition tire still popular amongst amateur and professional drivers today.
- January 2001: Named Official Tire of the SPEED World Challenge®. The Proxes RA1 was the spec tire in 2001. Toyo Tires holds this prestigious title still, to this day, with the Proxes R888 as the spec tire.
- November 2004: Proxes Drag Slicks score first NHRA® national event win when Thomas Bayer won the Super Comp class at the November Auto Club Finals in Pomona, CA. The winning on the Proxes Drag Slicks has continued at national competitions across the country.
- January 2005: Off-the-shelf Open Country M/T tires are used in desert racing for the first time. They capture 3rd place, on a trophy truck, at the SCORE Laughlin Desert Challenge. Since then, the tires have been used by champions in nearly all forms of off-road racing including desert, short course and rock racing.
- Fall 2005: NHRA Nationals renamed the NHRA Toyo Tires Nationals. It marked the company’s first title sponsor of such a prestigious event; it remains to this day. The event is held at historic Maple Grove Raceway near Reading, Pennsylvania.
- October 2007: Tanner Foust wins the 2007 Formula Drift Championship on the, then-new, Toyo Proxes R1R extreme performance tires. In 2008, he won the championship again on Proxes R1R tires.
- December 2008: Toyo Proxes TQ introduced during the Performance Racing Industry Trade Show in Orlando, Florida. It is the first street legal drag radial from Toyo Tires, in the United States.
- January 2009: Robby Gordon and Team Dakar USA place third overall in the 2009 Dakar, using Open Country M/T-R tires. Gordon’s Hummer H3 racer was the only two-wheel-drive vehicle to place in the top ten in this international event.
- October 2009: Rick Huseman and Toyo Tires capture the first-ever Pro 4x4 Truck Championship in The Off-Road Championship (TORC) series. The new off-road, short-course series experienced a successful inaugural year.
- November 2009: Following an impressive year in desert racing, Robby Gordon is named 2009 SCORE Overall Point Champion and Trophy-Truck Champion. Both honors are a first for Toyo Tires.
- October 2012: Kyle LeDuc wins Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series Pro 4 Unlimited Class Championship
- November 2012: BJ Baldwin wins Baja 1000; is named 2012 SCORE Overall Point Champion and Trophy-Truck Champion
- November 2012: Robby Gordon wins 2012 Best in the Desert Class Grand Championship and Class 1500 Championship
It's no secret...when it comes to motorsports we at Toyo Tires relish the excitement of winning!